Smudging is an ancient and sacred ceremony, so it is best to do it with full awareness and in a slow, mindful manner. As even the happiest homes accumulate in time negative vibrations, it is good to smudge your home thoroughly at least several times a year. You can also smudge your office space (not during busy office hours!); as well as use smudging to clear your own energy or the energy of other people.
About this wand:
Salvia aping – The aromatic herb has been used for centuries as incense and in smudge pots for ceremonial use.
Each wand is about 4 inches long and 1 1/2 inches thick at the burning end. They are bundled with the stems together, providing a handle for easy use.
Grown, harvested, dried & packaged here at Lucie’s Apothecary. When out of season, sourced from California.
HOW TO SMUDGE:
There are many different versions of this process/ceremony. This is a simple version.
What you will need: a smudging stick, candle (optional), fireproof container, lighter or matches and a feather (optional).
Start at or near the front door. It is best if you create a sense of ceremony when you smudge your house, as well as find time when you will not be disturbed; 10-15 min should be enough.
- Light your candle (optional) and say a prayer or just focus your energy.
- Hold your sage wand by the stems over a plate, abalone shell or other fireproof container and light the thick end of the wand with the lighter or candle.
- Wave the wand until it starts to smolder and embers have developed
- Gently blow out the fire keeping the embers smoldering & smoking
- Hold the sage wand over the fireproof container at all times in order to avoid any lit herbs falling on the floor.
- Using your feather (optional) or your hand, gently disperse the smoke using a waving motion. Remind yourself to stay connected to your breathing throughout your smudging session.
- Go clockwise around your house (usually starting at the front door), and gently wave the smoke into the air. Go down the center of hallways. As you enter each room, go clockwise from wall to wall. Spend a bit more time smudging the room corners, as they tend to accumulate stagnant energy. Be sure to also open the closet doors and carefully smudge inside. Do not forget about spaces such as the laundry room, the garage or the basement.
- When you have smudged all areas of your house, come back to where you started and gently extinguish your smudge stick into your fireproof container.
- Once completely cooled, pack your smudge stick, as well as the container, till your next smudging session. You can leave the candle, if you so desire, to continue to purify the energy.
Important Safety Note! Although smudging is completely safe, pets and babies cannot tell you how it is affecting them personally. We recommend that you take safety precautions if this is your first time. If you have pets, allow them an escape route or access to an area that is smoke free or put them outside during the ceremony to avoid any stressful or allergic reactions. If you have infants or very young children, remove them from the space until completion. All little beings may return into the space within 15 minutes of completion.
Here’s how to smudge yourself (or somebody else):
Once your smudge stick is lit and smouldering, direct the smoke waves to the overall energy field around your body, starting with the area above your head and continuing down to your feet. Do not forget to breathe deeply while you do that.
Some people are more meticulous and others will do this ceremony in the reverse order – starting with the soles of the feet, going up both sides of the legs, torso, arms and finishing by smudging the space above the head.